Sunday, November 13, 2011

I No Longer Raise Children

For the last little while I keep thinking about a phrase I heard (or read) awhile back. It basically makes the point that maybe if we all--parents, that is--stopped raising "children" and started raising productive and responsible adults we'd be in a better place.

Think about it.

The end goal is to have healthy, reliable, honorable, capable, contributors of society; to have responsible adults.

Our goal is not to have eternal children; a bunch of big people who are emotional 5 year olds...especially when it comes time for them to have children of their own or care for us when we're old and feable.

I wonder how my choices would compare as a Mommy early on if my personal directive had been "raising up adults" rather than "raising children".

I wonder now if I have been engaged in the service of bringing up responsible adults or in lifting them up into something they already were: children?

Along with this is another principle pointing out that if you treat someone as they could be you create room for growth, whereas as if you treat someone as they are now you stunt them from progression.
Putting these two concepts together gives me a strong leaning preference for removing the words "raising children" from our language and social consciousnesses.


Certainly we want to "...teach in a way that does not restrict learning...", influence the development of rich knowledge, deep compassion, intense loyalty, pure integrity, strong family ties, positivity, industrious creativity, responsibility, spiritual connection, and relationship maturity.

So, I have decided I'm no longer raising children...

Nope.

I'm now raising future productive adults...
                  Now...How do I make up for lost time??? And...what's my first step to positive change?
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment